Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I walked into work today behind a woman having an impassioned conversation on her cell phone. I couldn't help but listen. Not only because I am nosy (or interested in people I prefer to call it), but also for two other reasons- her accent, and the topic of the conversation. She had a beautiful accent that I think was Jamaican, and it made everything sound so much more interesting. It's really a beautiful accent-the inflection, the cadence of it. It's been overdone and poorly imitated on TV and in movies, but this was music to the ears- lilting and melodious. It sounded like another accent that I could not quite put my finger on until I consulted my best friend Google and found out it's Irish. According to Wikepedia, "...in many ways the [Jamaican]accent bears great resemblance to that of southern Ireland, particularly Cork, which is possibly a result of the historical influx of Irish immigrants to Jamaica when both were British colonies. OK, enough about the accent...I know you are dying to know the topic of the conversation..but I have to go....more later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home